Retire and rehire


Q: Can a retired employee (20 years of service) GS-1811 under FERS be rehired as a GS-391?

A: Yes, if you are qualified for the position. However, you need to be aware that in all likelihood the salary of your new position will be reduced by the amount of your annuity. Further, if you have already reached your minimum retirement age your special retirement supplement will be reduced or stopped because of the annual Social Security earnings limitation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply