Leave without pay


Q: I was employed for almost 10 years in the VAMC. I was hired in 1981. I am in the CSRS retirement program. I sustained a job-related injury and was on leave without pay status for one year and subsequently terminated. My injury left me out of work for four years for which I was being compensated. I returned to a civilian job part time and eventually surpassed my salary that I was making in the federal position. My cash benefits were terminated, but I have continued to receive medical compensation coverage for my job-related injury. Since my job-related injury case is still open, am I receiving credit for years of service?

A: You would only get credit for that time if you returned to federal service. Go to http://opm.gov/retire/pubs/handbook/C102.pdf and scroll down to Part 102A3.1-1B.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply