BRAC leave


Q: My job is under BRAC and is scheduled to move by September 2011. Once the move has taken place I would expect the position would not be considered under BRAC. Since I have more than 100 hours of BRAC leave on the books, what will happen with that leave? Will I keep the leave on the books while I’m still in my same unit? Will they pay out the BRAC leave in one lump sum because the unit is no longer considered under BRAC?

A: A lump sum payment of restored annual leave is paid out when a BRAC-affected employee is separated by RIF; realigned to a non-BRAC activity; accepts an assignment to a position in any other federal agency or department outside of DoD; or placed in a DoD position at an installation that isn’t affected by closure or realignment.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply