Post-military state employment


Q: I retired from the Navy after serving 20 years. I now work for the state of Georgia. Will my service in state government be the same as working for the federal government? Can I receive a pension from the state after 10 years (which will be 30 years of total service, in 2018)?

A: No, it won’t be the same as working for the federal government. The two forms of employment aren’t interchangeable. You’ll have to check with your state to find out if any of your military service would be creditable and what the requirements are to retire from state employment with a pension.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to


  1. I have 15 years and 8 months of military time. I now work at a State prison in Georgia. I have 10 years with the State at this job. I plan to retire this year. I am 61 years old. Can I use my military time along with the 10 years of State time as retirement making it 25 years and 8 months?

    • Becuase this is a site for federal employees and retirees, we can’t answer your question. You’l have to check with your state’s personnel office.

Leave A Reply