Refund of excess deductions


Q: I have now passed the 42-year mark and still pay deductions to CSRS. If I request a refund or additional annuity when I retire, does the government contribution (which seems to be continuing according to my earning statement) become part of the equation?

A: No. The refund of excess contributions will consist solely of the deductions that were taken from your pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply