Unemployment benefits


Q: I am a dual status employee in an excepted position with military affiliation with the Air National Guard as a condition of employment. If I elect to retire from my military position before the end of my enlistment and subsequently lose my civil service job, would it be considered a voluntary separation? I am eligible to retire from both and trying to determine if I am eligible to receive unemployment insurance benefits.

A: Eligibility for unemployment benefits is determined by the state in which you live. You’ll need to talk with a specialist in your state unemployment office.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply