Creditable Civilian Service


Q: I will turn 62 in September. I had 16 years of honorable service in the Navy, April 1969 to April 1985, before being hired into the federal civil service in December 2009. I do not draw a retirement from military service. Do I have to have five years of federal civil service to qualify for retirement at age 62, or will five years of the military service qualify for the five-year requirement? I realize that I have to make a deposit to cover the time I spent in military service.

A: You have to have five years of civilian service to be eligible to retire.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply