Military buyback for FERS retirement


Q: How can I get proof that I did buy back my four years of military service so I can ensure my FERS retirement date is accurate? I bought back four years of active duty years ago but never got any documentation indicating so. I have a dollar figure on my LES that indicates a deposit was made, and the military deposit worksheets showing I made an application for a deposit. I’m getting the runaround from state HRO, personnel and finance. They all claim the other office takes care of it, but no one knows who really is in control of this. What form would have this data and what agency do I need to contact for this information?

A: You already have all the material you need to prove that you’ve made the deposit. No one in your agency can provide you with additional proof because the paperwork went to OPM. If you want to ask them for a statement that you’ve made the deposit, you can write OPM, Retirement Operations Center, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply