Benefit estimate for a deferred FERS member


Q: I worked for the Navy as a civilian from December 1985 to November 1996. I did not remove my funds from the Navy, other than my TSP which was rolled into a 401(k). How can I find out what my benefit will be? I have sent numerous requests to the National Personnel Records Center for copies of my documents. I don’t know what my final high-3 salary was, or my actual creditable service. I have also contacted OPM in writing. I have the opportunity to buy my public service time in my current retirement system, but am unable to get the information from the federal government to do an analysis of whether I should do that or remain status quo? Who can I contact to have someone look up my records and advise me?

A: Unfortunately, there’s nowhere else you can go. You’ll just have to be patient.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply