Health insurance for new spouse


Q: I am a CSRS retiree and have an FEHB plan. In March I will turn 65 and understand I should apply for Medicare parts A and B, but in June I am getting married and I want to be able to provide health insurance for my spouse, who is 57. Should I keep my FEHB coverage as well as enrolling for Medicare parts A and B. This seems to be the only way to make sure we’re both covered, although presumably very pricey. Are there any other alternatives?

A: No, there aren’t any sensible ones. When you get married, you’ll need to add your new spouse to your current FEHB plan. Then during the next open season, you can review the plan options to find one that will cover any needs the two of you may have at the lowest possible cost.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply