Transfers and covered positions


Q: I spent just over four years in a primary law enforcement position (1811). I left to take a noncovered position (1801), where I stayed for the next three years and two months. I was recently hired back into the 1811 series (a secondary position) but was not afforded the 6c coverage. My HR office told me that it was due to three years lapsing (between my primary position and this one, I assume). My current position does extend coverage, but only to those who transfer in from a covered position. My question is this: how do I get 6c coverage back so I don’t lose out on those four years? Must I find a primary 6c position? If so, will my covered time count again?

A: Yes, you’d have to be hired or placed in a primary 6(c) covered position.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply