Workers' compensation and retirement


Q: Can i retire from government service while on workers’ compensation, or do i have to be in a work status to do so?

A: Assuming that you are eligible to retire, you can do that either when your workers’ compensation is terminated or when you elect to receive an annuity in lieu of workers’ compensation. Be aware that the time between the day on which you went on workers’ compensation and the date you retire won’t be included in your annuity computation. Instead, your annuity will be computed based on your service and high-3 on the date you went on workers’ compensation, increased by any applicable cost-of-living increases given to retirees since then.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply