Employment credit for Social Security


Q: I was a U.S. Postal Service employee from February 1975 until February 1983. I will turn 65 this May. I am not eligible for government retirement, since those eight years were my only government employment, nor am I eligible for Social Security benefits. Is there some way that the post office can credit my employment with them for Social Security benefits?

A: No. Only employment where Social Security taxes are taken from your income can earn Social Security credits. Note: If you had retirement deductions taken from your salary and didn’t ask for a refund when you left, you would have been eligible for a deferred annuity beginning at age 62. And you could still apply for one. On the other hand, if you did take a refund, your statement that you wouldn’t be eligible is correct.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply