CSRS Offset and Social Security


Q: I am 68 and still work as a CSRS Offset civilian. I have about 17 years of government service, 10 years as CSRS and seven years as CSRS Offset. I also have more than 30 years of substantial Social Security earnings outside of the CSRS Offset. I am single and all of my earnings for retirement and Social Security are mine. I am pretty sure I won’t fall into the Windfall Elimination Provision category but cannot determine how much the Offset will apply. My Offset income is substantially higher now than it was when I left the government in 1974. Is there a calculator for this? I have been unable to get this information from OPM, the Air Force and Social Security Administration.

A: In one sense it doesn’t make any difference what the offset in your CSRS annuity will be, because it will be replaced by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while covered by CSRS Offset. If you still want a rough estimate of the amount, use the following formula: Your Social Security benefit estimate provided by the Social Security Administration x your total years of CSRS Offset service rounded to the next higher year ÷ by 40. You can get a more precise number by using the software available at www.FEDbens.us.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply