Social Security benefits


Q: I retired at 55 with 30 years of service from CSRS. I did not pay into Social Security. My husband turned 65 and was told he was at full retirement age and receives Social Security. Can I draw Social Security benefits when I turn 65 or 66 off of him? Would it be decreased based on my retirement at age 65 or 66?

A: Your age has nothing to do with it. Because you are receiving an annuity from CSRS, a retirement system where you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, you’ll be subject to the government pension offset provision of law. The GPO will reduce your Social Security spousal benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.



About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply