Placed in offset


Q: I recently returned to federal service after an absence since 2002. Previously, I was in the CSRS retirement system from 1983 to 2002. Recently, they reinstated me under CSRS but now they have switched me into CSRS offset. I am not convinced. Is this correct?

A: Yes. Because you had break in service of a year or more, by law you had to be placed in CSRS Offset.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply