Military service and retirement


Q: I retired from the Air Force in 1998 then joined the Air Force Reserve in 2002. In 2003, I became an Air Reserve technican. Can I buy my military time back to include in my civil service total time? When I turn 60, I will convert my active-duty retirement to reserve retirement.

A: Yes, you can make a deposit to get credit for your active-duty service. If you do, that time will be added to your actual civilian service and used in the computation of your civilian annuity, but only after you have at least five years of civilian service. However, because you are receiving retired military pay, you would be required to waive that pay before you retire from your civilian employment. Any reserve retired pay to which you are separately entitled would not be affected.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply