Which plan am I in?


Q: I need to know if I am under FERS or CSRS. My service computation date is June 1983. However, I started working in the federal government in 1980 during the summers and the holidays as a college student. Please let me know which retirement plan that I am in.

A: Because you had fewer than five years of creditable service before January 1, 1987, you should be in FERS. While it’s unlikely that your earlier employment during summers and holidays would change that, you’ll need to work with your personnel office to determine the nature of those appointments and their length.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply