Time in service


Q: Do you know where and who can be contacted to determine time in service BEFORE you retire? I just received a 20-year federal service award dated March 31, 2011. My pay slip states my service computation date as 5/31/1991. What is the difference? How can I find out exactly the amount of time I currently have that will be used for my pension calculations?

A: Your service computation date (SCD) is the one that will be used to determine your years of service. You’ll have to check with your personnel office to find out why they selected the earlier date for your award.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply