Buy back FERS time


Q: I had to take leave/terminate from my government job in February 2001. Unfortunately, I accepted money and my time from Feb. 25, 1991, to Feb. 23, 2001, was lost. It has been rumored that we can now buy back time such as this. With a service computation date of November 1987 and a retirement date of October 2010, that would give me a total of 22 years, 11 months. I’m willing to buy this time back and would like to know what agency deals with this.

A: If you return to work for the federal government, you can redeposit the money that was refunded to you plus accrued interest and get credit for that time. Your personnel office would explain how to do that. However, if you do not return to work for the federal government, you cannot make a redeposit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply