Reserve retired pay and military buy back


Q: I retired from the Army after 21 years as a Chief Warrant Officer 2, which was a reserve commission; the component I retired from was United States Army Reserve (USAR) and I currently receive a retirement pension/pay. I am currently a government employee. If I buy back my military time and apply it to my civilian time (FERS), do I forfeit my military retirement pay? I believe I am receiving reserve retired pay based on my discussion with DFAS.

A: If you are receiving reserve retired pay and make a deposit for any periods of active duty service, it will have no affect on your reserve retired pay.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply