No acceleration


Q: I have been a government employee for more than 22 years in FERS . I have been transferred  on permanant change of station overseas to five countries during my career for a total of 15 years and six months. I was recently told I accrue years at an accelerated rate when assigned PCS overseas. Is that correct? At what rate do I accrue years toward retirement (i.e. 1 year overseas = 1.2 years, etc.)? Does the accelerated rate apply to extended overseas temporary duty, such as my current situation of serving 179 days in Iraq?

A: I’m not aware of any provision in law or regulation that would grant extra service credit for serving overseas.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply