Voluntary contributions


Q: I have been a federal employee for 32 years in CSRS Offset, and this is the first I have heard of this program. Can you please explain the program?

A: The Voluntary Contributions Program is open to CSRS and CSRS Offset employees. It allows them to make contributions to the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund and earn tax-deferred interest. They have the option at any time of asking for a refund of all contributions and interest or, at retirement, using the money to buy additional annuity. For more information go to www.opm.gov/retire/pubs/pamphlets/forms/RI83-10.pdf.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply