Military buy back


Q: I’m a CSRS employee. Is there a time limit after I retire from my civilian job to buy back my military time and get annuity credit for it?

A: To get credit for any period of active duty military service in your annuity computation, you must complete the deposit before the final adjudication of your annuity by OPM.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply