Future annuity


Q: I am FERS employee. I’m planning on leaving government service early next year having completed a total 10 years federal service (which includes military time – buyback paid in full) and five years pure civilian federal service. I understand I would be entitled to deferred annuity down the road. I want to make sure that all necessary documents are complete. What do I need to do to and what forms do I need to fill out to ensure that my application for deferred annuity will be approved 20-plus years from now?

A: As long as you leave your contributions and deposit in the retirement fund, all you need to do is apply for a deferred annuity several months before your 62nd birthday. You can find the answers to your questions if you go to www.opm.gov/retire/pubs/handbook/C045.pdf and scroll down to Part 45B.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply