Retirement fund deposit


Q: Can I get FERS retirement credit (without buy-in) for my 20 years of military service? I was awarded 100 percent Veterans Affairs service-connected disability five years after my military retirement. I have 12 years of FERS time and 10 percent of my VA disability is combat-related.

A: No, you’d have to make a deposit to the civilian retirement fund to get credit for that time.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply