Retirement eligibility


Q: At age 60, I was removed from federal service after 11 years and 11 months of service. I initiated a Merit Systems Protection Board action and now I am being offered the option to resign to be dated in June 2011. If I resign, would I be able to retire at age 62? If so, how early do I apply for retirement? I am under FERS.

A: Yes, you would be eligible for a deferred retirement at age 62. To apply for it, you’ll need to download a copy of Form RI 92-19, Application for Deferred or Postponed Retirement, available on-line at, click on Find Form(s). Send it to OPM two months before you turn 62.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply