Borrowing from retirement account


Q: Can I borrow money from my CSRS account, the one where my retirement deductions have gone, and if so, what do I have to do. I am looking to borrow some of the money to pay off something else right now. I plan on putting it back before I retire.

A: No, you can’t. The only way you could get any of the money in your retirement account would be to resign from the government and accept a refund of all your retirement contributions. And you wouldn’t be allowed to get a refund if you were already eligible for voluntary retirement.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply