Substituting leave


Q: I am a FERS employee and I have an excess of 23 days of use or lose annual leave. I just took three days off of unscheduled sick leave. Can I use my “use or lose annual leave” instead of using up my sick leave so I can eventually put my sick leave toward my retirement service computation date? I understand that the laws have changed and that now sick leave will be credited toward retirement in FERS and not just in CSRS only.

A: You can ask your supervisor to change the leave from sick to annual. As for the change in crediting sick leave, you’ll only receive half credit for that leave in your annuity unless you retire in 2013.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply