Unmarried employee


Q: I am single, 53 years old and have worked for the government since 1992 under FERS. I am unclear as to whether my heirs are entitled to any portion of my pension/annuity, since I will not have a surviving spouse, children or parents. Please list all the forms I should have on file with OPM to ensure that all my bases are covered.

A: You can either allow any benefits to be distributed using the standard order of precedence found in law or, to specifically designate your beneficiary or beneficiaries, fill out a copy of Standard Form 3102 (retirement), SF 2823 (life insurance) and TSP-3 (Thrift Savings Plan).


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply