Social Security eligibility


Q: I am 64 and I have worked under CSRS with no break in service for 28 years. I worked in the private sector before entering civil service. I earned my 40 quarters for Social Security eligibility before starting civil service. Will I be able to draw my Social Security upon CSRS retirement or will I be penalized?

A: Yes, you will be able to receive a Social Security benefit. However, it will be reduced if you have fewer than 30 years of substantial earnings under Social Security.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply