Q: I retired from government at 57 in August 2009 under CSRS with 30 years of service/DoD Excepted Service. Due to the economy, I would like to go back to “regular/full time” government employment. Can I re-apply for government jobs (knowing I will give up my annuity) for a full-time GS position and salary?

A: There is no bar to you becoming a re-employed annuitant. However, you won’t have to give up your annuity; instead the salary of your new position will be reduced by the amount of your annuity.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply