RIF preference


Q: The CPAC people at my organization are unhelpful and
unknowledgable. My SF-50 does not reflect my 70 percent disability for
veterans preference for a reduction in force. I have brought the
paperwork in but was told I was not hired under veterans preference and
don’t qualify because I retired with more than 20 years from the Army.  They say if I had not retired, then I would be eligible, but refuse to give me the source of that rule.

A: Based on what you’ve written, your agency is probably right. You’ll find the information needed to confirm or rebut their decision at www.opm.gov/staffing/Portal/vetguide.asp#2Why.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

1 Comment

  1. Veterans’ Preference is governed by 5 U.S.C 2108 and 5 CFR Part 211. Veterans’ Claim for Preference is base on eligibility for or receipt of compensation from the Veterans Affairs or disability retirement from a Service Department for a 10% or more service-connected disability. See Standard Form 15. Also, Veterans Affairs Regional Office may provide a certificate for you to use in establishing Civil Service Preference.

Leave A Reply