Withdrawing voluntary contributions


Q: I understand that funds in the CSRS voluntary contributions program can be withdrawn at any time prior to retirement. Does this action close the account prohibiting additional contributions? Or can withdrawals be made periodically for such purposes as rolling them into a Roth IRA?

A: You cannot make a partial withdrawal.However, you may withdraw all of your voluntary contributions, plus accrued interest, at any time and for any reason. Once you have closed out your voluntary contributions account, it can never be re-opened again. Note: If you separate from the government and come back later in a CSRS-covered position, you could open a new account.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply