Buyback options


Q: I’ve been in civil service for 16 months and I am currently in the process of buying back eight military years. What if I decide I do not want to stay in civil service more than another year or so. Am I throwing that money away? Should I stop my buyback?

A: You are asking for an opinion, which I would be foolish to provide. What I can tell you is this: If you decide that you want to leave, you can get a refund of your retirement deductions and the deposit you made.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply