Retired early


Q: I took early federal retirement under CSRS offset at age 50. Must I also take early Social Security at age 62?

A: It’s up to you to decide if you want to apply for Social Security at age 62. Whether you do or don’t, at age 62 your CSRS annuity will be reduced (offset) by the amount of Social Security benefit you earned while covered by CSRS Offset.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply