Temporary appointment poses annuity question


Q. I have 27 years of service, but two years of that is credited to me for a temporary appointment I had from 1980 to 1982. I’m under the Federal Employees Retirement System and my EOD is 1984. How will this affect my retirement, and should I or can I buy back those two years?

A. For service before Oct. 1, 1982, you have a choice. If you make a deposit for that time, plus accrued interest, it will be used in the computation of your annuity. If you don’t, your annuity will be reduced by 10 percent of the amount you owe, plus accrued interest. For any period of non-deduction service on or after Oct. 1, 1982, you have to make a deposit for that time to be used in your annuity computation.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply