Military buyback


Q: I served 16 years of active-duty military, then separated and took a federal job and paid my military buyback in full. If I decide to leave the government before I retire, can I have my military buyback refunded to me?

A: Yes, but only if you accept a full refund of all your retirement contributions. Doing so would void your right to a future retirement benefit.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply