Returning employee


Q: I worked for the government for three years a long time ago and returned recently. I will be eligible to retire at 62 in about three years. I plan to work until 67, if possible. When should I pay back the withdrawals I took from my CSRS retirement? Is it better to do it sooner or later, assuming that I have the funds available?

A: Making a deposit sooner than later is the better option because interest continues to accumulate on the amount owed.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply