Forced to retire


Q: I am 79 with 40 years of service with the post office. I was told that if I resigned that I would be able to get a lump sump from my retirement so all the paperwork was done. Now I’ve been told that because of my age and that I have more than 30 years with the post office that I cannot resign. I would have to retire per the law. I need to get the lump sum to save my house which is in foreclosure. What can I do?

A: Unfortunately, there’s nothing you can do. Because you are eligible for immediate retirement, you cannot receive a refund of your retirement contributions. That’s the law, and there’s no way around it.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply