Creditable service


Q. I’m curious as to whether a year of paid internship in clinical psychology (1991-92) will count toward my years of retirement. I have been employed in the Veterans Affairs Department for 20 years.

A. You’ll have to go to your personnel office and provide them with the exact details of that internship. If they are uncertain about whether the time is creditable, they can bump it up to the departmental level, which can, in turn, call the Office of Personnel Management, if necessary. OPM has the final say in such matters.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply