Special retirement supplement


Q. I am retiring at age 60 on Sept. 30. I have more than 22 years in and I meet the criteria for the special retirement supplement. I turned 60 in early June and have received my estimate with the supplement. I have volunteered for retirement with a buyout. I asked my retirement specialist about the earnings limit and he gave the example here: www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/retirement-planning/2013/01/little-extra-under-fers/60735/

If I prorate the earnings limit for the remainder of this year, that would be about $1,250 a month for three months for a total of $3,750. Let’s say I stay within that limit for the remainder of 2013, which is not reported until Sept. 18, 2014, so no reduction in the supplement. But at some time during 2014, I go over the limit and in 2015, I also go over the limit. I turn 62 in June 2015, but I don’t get the RI-92-99 Earnings Report for 2014 until Sept. 18, 2015. Will I be in a position to owe the government the overpaid supplement because there is no supplement left to reduce?

A. Yes.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply