Creditable service


Q. I worked for the federal service from 1993 to 1995. I left the service and worked for a private firm. Then in 2005, I came back to civil service. Will those years (1993-1995) count for retirement? In my SF-50 under “Retirement Plan,” I have FERS and FICA the letter K. In my leave and earnings statement, I see that I was paying for both.

A. As long as you left your contributions in the retirement fund when you left, you’ll get full credit for that earlier period of service. If you got a refund, you wouldn’t get any credit for it unless you redeposit that amount plus interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply