Q. I have 25+ years at 63 years old and am eligible for FERS retirement. If I were to accept the Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay, would I be penalized for continuing to work with Wildland Fire as an administratively determined retired federal employee? No one in human resources seems to be able to answer this one. I suspect the way the language is written, the answer is no.

A. No. You can’t continue working for the federal government because VSIPs are only given to those who agree to leave, either by resignation or retirement. Further, if you want to keep the VSIP, you can’t return to work for the federal government for five years. If you do, you’ll have to repay the entire amount the day before you return to work.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply