Q. I worked as a GS-7 for two years at the State Department in the 1980s and left, taking my pension contributions. I now work for the Defense Department as a GS-13 and have done so for three years. Am I now vested in the pension system considering my time served is five years?

A. Not unless you redeposit the refunded amount, plus accrued interest.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply