FEGLI Option C


Q. As a federal retiree, do I have the option to change or reduce Federal Employees’ Group Life Insurance Option C coverage in the next open season? After age 65, I do not need as much coverage and the rates jump by a large percentage.

A. As a retiree, you can cancel or reduce your FEGLI life insurance at any time. To do that, you must mail a signed letter to the Office of Personnel Management’s Retirement Office at:

U.S. OPM Retirement Operations Center

P.O. Box 45

Boyers, PA 16017-0045

The cancellation or reduction must be in writing and signed by you. Be sure to include your retirement claim number (CSA) or Social Security Number (SSN) and specify what action you want taken.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply