CSRS withdrawal


Q. If I left the service in 1999 but have not taken out my CSRS funds. How do I withdraw them? What forms are needed and they need to go to whom? Is the 20 percent federal withholding required to be withheld?

A. Go to www.opm.gov/forms and download a copy of Standard Form 2802, Application for Refund of Retirement Deductions. Fill it out and send it to the Office of Personnel Management. The address is on the form. Since your contributions were already taxed, and they earned no interest, the amount you receive will be tax-free.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to fedexperts@federaltimes.com.

Leave A Reply