Redeposit of FERS refund


Q. I worked for the Veterans Affairs Department from 1991 to 1997 under FERS and took a refund. I am returning to federal employment in January. Can I redeposit with interest to acquire the 6½ creditable years?

A. Yes. According to the Office of Personnel Management, “If you receive a refund of FERS deductions and were covered by FERS on or after Oct. 28, 2009, you may repay (or redeposit) any FERS deductions previously refunded.”


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply