Apply for VERA or VSIP?


Q. I am 63 with 30 years of federal service. I want to apply for a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority or Voluntary Separation Incentive Pay. Can I retire from the federal service at the same time?

A. You have already met the age and service requirements to retire any time you want to. You wouldn’t need a VERA to do that. As for the VSIP, you can’t apply for one. However, you could let your agency know that you’d be willing to accept one if it was offered to you.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply