Reducing life insurance


Q. How do I reduce my life insurance? I’m retired. Whom do I contact?

A. If you elected a 50 percent reduction or no reduction in your Basic insurance, you may cancel the additional coverage at any time. The same is true of Option B. Option B or C coverage may be reduced or canceled at any time. To make any of these changes, write to the Office of Personnel Management, Retirement Operations Center, P.O. Box 45, Boyers, PA 16017-0045. Be sure to include your civil service retirement claim number (CSA number) and specify what action you want taken. Generally, the reduction or cancellation will be effective at the end of the month in which OPM receives your written request. Note: You won’t receive a refund of any premiums paid through that month.


About Author

Reg Jones was head of retirement and insurance policy at the Office of Personnel Management. Email your retirement-related questions to

Leave A Reply